Table of Contents

Table of Contents

NJ License Restoration Lawyers | Get Your License & Your Life Back

New Jersey MVC

Do you find yourself in receipt of a letter from the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC)?
MVC Sample Letter
Some people still remember when it was called the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Your letter probably starts with a notice of scheduled suspension.

For example, it might sound something like this:

“Your New Jersey driving privilege is scheduled to be suspended as of 5/15/2019 for 120 days.”

If you are in this situation, please do not panic. We are here to help you.

When you receive a New Jersey MVC notice of proposed suspension it is very important to understand that these matters may be resolved through a hearing.
The law in New Jersey allows driver’s an opportunity for a Motor Vehicle Hearing.

It is equally important to respond to these notices.
If you are unsure how to respond or what information you should include in your response, please contact us and we will help you.

We have extensive experience representing countless clients who were on the verge of losing their driving privileges.
We were able to help them keep their drivers’ license for a fair and reasonable fee. We fight for everyone and we will certainly fight for you.

NJ MVC hearings should not be taken lightly.
We need to order and review your driver’s abstract.
A Driver’s Abstract contains everything.
We need to know your entire driving record from the day you got your New Jersey driver’s license.

NJ Surcharge Lawyer

What happens at my MVC Hearing?

Our attorneys will have a full understanding of your situation and will present the strongest case possible on your behalf.

We will carefully and dynamically explain how you will suffer in every area of your life if you lose your driver’s license.
We will explain your situation and use the sections of the New Jersey law that relate to your specific situation.

Every hearing officer that our attorneys have worked with have been reasonable.
If our request is fair and reasonable, there is a strong chance of success.

What happens if the MVC Hearing officer and my lawyer can’t come to an agreement?

In the unlikely event that we do not reach a favorable result for you, you can request a full hearing with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ).

When will the ALJ hold a special hearing for my license suspension?

These hearing are considered “special” and every judge’s calendar is different. We cannot provide an exact time frame.

Can a “Suspension Period Get Reduced”?

Yes, we have been very successful at reducing a proposed suspension period.
After we talk with you and get your side of the story, we present the best case possible to the hearing officer and explain why the suspension period should be reduced.
Our goal is your goal – to get you back on the road, as soon as possible.

Will I have to be at the DMV all day?

People with attorneys get priority. In our experience you may be there an hour or two, but not all day.

Does the driving suspension start right away?

No. We have argued for a suspension to start when it is most convenient for the client. For example, if you are going on a vacation where you won’t be driving, it may make sense to have the suspension start during that time.

If my NJ driver’s license gets suspended, can I get a license in another state?

Most likely not. The other state will ask if you have ever had a license in another state. Then they will ask if you have ever been suspended.
If you lie on the application, you may be charged with a criminal offense.
And if you are successful in getting an out-of-state license, and are caught driving in New Jersey, you will be issued a ticket for Driving While Suspended, N.J.S.A. 39:3-40.
And if you get into an accident, you are facing additional penalties, including a mandatory jail term.

If my NJ license is suspended, can I drive in another state?

No. Because New Jersey issued your license, the other states will consider it suspended.

If I’m about to get suspended in NJ, should I go and get a license in another state?

Our advice is to not do that. It may not work out to your advantage and may even hurt you. For example, if you live in New Jersey, you are supposed to have a New Jersey driver’s license.
And if you are caught driving in New Jersey after being suspended you will be issued a ticket for Driving While Suspended, N.J.S.A. 39:3-40.
And if you get into an accident, you are facing additional penalties, including a mandatory jail term.

Can I talk at my MVC hearing?

We always speak on behalf of our clients at each MVC hearing, but you are always allowed to speak.
Of course, you should only speak if what you say will help your case.

I drive for a living, will they still suspend me?

You may get suspended and you may lose your job. This is why it is so important to invest in an MVC Lawyer.
We will speak on your behalf & explain why your loss of driving privileges will be a severe hardship for you and your family.

Is my case heard before a special judge?

Not at an MVC hearing. A “hearing officer” will hear your case.

What is the role of the MVC hearing officer?

The hearing officer determines whether a reduced suspension is justified.

My driving record is “not totally bad”, will this help my case?

Yes. The better your record is, the better the chances are that the proposed suspension period will be reduced.

Can I postpone my suspension?

Yes. That is one of the most frequently requested actions.
Many times, people need to make arrangements for work or finish some special task before their license is suspended.
We work with you to make any suspension as painless as possible.

Am I better off with an MVC lawyer to help me or should I save money and go alone?

We are experienced MVC lawyers, having represented many clients in all types of Traffic Offenses.
We know the process and how to maximize your chances of a good result.

How soon after the notice of suspension will my driving privileges end?

Under New Jersey Statute §39:5-30b, the proposed suspension will be effective 15 days from the date the notice was mailed unless the licensee notifies the Commission in writing within 10 days from the date the notice was mailed.

What happens if I don't respond “suspension notice”?

This is a really bad idea. We will never advise a client to ignore this type of notice.

What happens if I keep driving after my license gets suspended?

This is a really bad idea. If you are caught driving while your license is suspended, the penalties are severe.

Not only will you receive a ticket for driving while suspended N.J.S.A. 39:3-40, but depending on your driving record, you may face jail time.

Most importantly, if you get into an accident, then jail is mandatory.

I didn’t know that my license got suspended because it went to my old address. What do I do now? After all, it wasn’t my fault it got sent to an old address.

The MVC sends notices to the last address they have on record. It is the driver’s responsibility to notify the MVC of a change in address. So, if you did not notify the MVC you moved, you will still be suspended. However, every case is different, and we may be able to help you. Call us, as you may benefit from legal representation.
Click on this link to change your address with the NJ MVC.

Why did a get a notice saying that my driver’s license is due to be suspended because I am a “Persistent Violator”.

A “Persistent Violator” suspension happens when your driver’s license is suspended because you accumulated too many points within a certain period of time.
Depending on your driving record, your suspension will be from 30 days to three years,

Also, you may have had your driver’s license suspended at some point.
Later you were restored, but you were put on a probationary period.
If you received a moving violation during the probationary period, you may have been suspended again for being a “persistent violator”.

What is a surcharge?

A surcharge is a fine that is assessed by the MVC to drivers who have too many points for traffic violations, or have been convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI).
Click here to Pay Your NJ Surcharge Fees.

Can I be suspended for not paying surcharges?

Yes. The MVC will suspend your driver’s license for non-payment of surcharges.

How do I get my driver’s license restored if I owe surcharges?

You must pay the surcharges and a restoration fee.

How much will the MVC surcharges cost me?

Everybody’s case is different. The amount of the surcharges you owe will depend on what violations you received & whether you have been late in paying them.

Will the MVC accept a payment plan for all the fines & penalties (surcharges) that I owe them?

Usually yes.
Depending on how much you owe, it may be possible to do an Installment Payment Plan.
Are you or a loved one facing a driver’s license suspension?
If the answer is yes, then call us. 
We have successfully helped a lot of drivers. We will fight for you.
Check out our reviews.

More Helpful Articles

Plea Bargains What Are They & How Do They Work?

Plea bargains run our criminal justice system. 90% of cases are settled by way of plea deals. When you’re charged with a crime, your lawyer will negotiate a plea bargain. But is a plea bargain your only way out?

Plea Bargains What Are They & How Do They Work?
Read More
NJ PTI: Everything You Need to Know in 5 Minutes!

Everything you need to know in five minutes
Think of Pre-Trial Intervention (PTI) as your ONE & ONLY Get-out-of-Jail-Free card. It’s the QUICKEST way to be done with your Felony arrest.

NJ PTI: Everything You Need to Know in 5 Minutes!
Read More
How To Get Criminal Charges Dismissed

Getting your criminal charges dismissed is possible. If you’ve been arrested, then you’re interested to know how your criminal lawyer can get your charges dismissed. Of course, you understand that you are innocent until proven guilty.

How To Get Criminal Charges Dismissed
Read More
NJ Felony Charges: 5 Steps To Start Fighting Back!

New Jersey felony charges are termed “Indictable Offenses”. These are the most serious charges that you can face. If you plead guilty, or are found guilty, the judge has no choice but to sentence you to prison.

NJ Felony Charges: 5 Steps To Start Fighting Back!
Read More

About the Author

Attorney Alan G. Peyrouton

Attorney At Law

Mr. Peyrouton is a Criminal Defense Attorney located in Hackensak, NJ.

His articles in the areas of Criminal Law have been published in The New Jersey Law Journal.

He is a distinguished author, trial attorney, and has had the privilege of arguing before the New Jersey Supreme Court.

Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Peyrouton was a world-class, competitive tennis player.

He is perfectly fluent in Spanish.